By Bobbi McGarry
Many of us have had to transition to working from home throughout the last few months which has also left many of us full access to our refrigerators 24/7. It is so easy to let go of our usual eating habits when grabbing a snack is a mere few steps away but don’t worry! We have compiled a great list of healthy snack options for you to choose from to make your workday much more productive and leave you feeling healthy and full!
Snacks to Help You Feel Full Longer
Snacks that allow you to feel full for a longer period of time help you avoid overeating between meals, and are a great alternative to high-fat, high-sugar treats.
- Greek Yogurt - is much thicker than regular yogurt and high in protein allowing you to feel full longer making it a great breakfast treat or afternoon snack.
- Cottage Cheese - is normally quite low in fat and carbs, yet very high in protein.
- Whole Fruit - Fruit contains lots of fiber, which can help to slow down digestion allowing you to feel full for longer. Fruit juice, however, does not have the same effect so always try to choose fresh, whole fruits such as apples and oranges.
- Nuts - are high in healthy fats and protein as well as being energy-dense, nutrient-rich snack options.
- Popcorn - when prepared at home in an air-popper or pot popcorn is a great snack to help you feel full for longer as it is a whole grain food that is very high in fiber. Note: Use toppings to a minimum to ensure you do not make your popcorn also have a high-fat content.
Snacks to Give You an Energy Boost
Feeling the 3 pm energy slump? Try one of the following energy-boosting snacks for a burst of energy that lasts without the burnt-out feeling afterward.
- Trail Mix - choose a trail mix that contains an assortment of nuts and dried fruits as together they contain an ideal combination of unsaturated fats, fiber, and protein.
- Hard-Boiled Eggs - proteins, fats, and amino acids are all found inside a simple egg, giving you a great boost of energy during a mid-day slump.
- An Apple & Peanut Butter - The protein in the peanut butter will give you long-lasting energy, and your body is able to burn the apple’s natural sugars more slowly than processed sugars giving you longer lasting energy throughout your day.
- Yogurt Topped with Whole Grain Cereal - A great snack to satisfy your need to crunch, fill you up, and provide hours of energy while being low in fats.
- Veggies and Hummus - Dip your favorite veggies in hummus which consists of carbs, fat, and protein. The carbs give you the energy boost you need, and the protein-fat combo is great for regulating your blood sugar levels.
Healthy Snacks to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
Craving something sweet? Don’t reach for that high-fat dessert. Instead, grab one of these sweet treats to satisfy your craving while still being healthy and full of energy!
- Dark Chocolate - unlike regular chocolate, dark chocolate is lower in sugars and fats and contains higher levels of healthy polyphenols. Try swapping your regular chocolate out for a few squares of dark chocolate.
- Berries - are naturally sweet, however, their high fiber content means they are actually quite low in sugar and will also fill you up. They also have strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties!
- Snack Bars - choose bars that are made with whole oats and sweetened with fresh or dried fruit, rather than table sugar, honey, coconut sugar, or agave syrup for a sweet, healthy snack.
- Dates - are a great source of fiber, potassium, iron, and beneficial plant compounds allowing you to satisfy your sweet tooth while providing much-needed benefits to your body!
Looking for more ideas for healthy snacks at home? Try one of these simple recipes for homemade snacks anytime!
No boxed granola bar compares to simple homemade bars you can personalize to your own taste! Get The Recipe
Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites
Enjoy the taste of fall from your own kitchen with these sweet and savory bite-sized snacks ready in only 15 minutes! Get The Recipe
Frozen Yogurt Berry Bites
Beat the summer heat while enjoying a quick, protein-packed frozen treat your tastebuds will love! Get The Recipe
Have a favorite recipe you love? Share it with us by tagging #curveez